Day 1: Discovering the castles and the royal City of Loches
We will welcome you at 8:30am at BEAUTERTRE castle for breakfast. This beautiful castle was built in the 16th century. It has belonged to our host’s family for 70 years. This castle was once a priory. It overlooks a pond and is located in the heart of the forest of MANTHELAN.
After breakfast, we will be starting a 3 hour ride across the forest to discover the castles of CHANCEAUX and BUSSIERE.
We will then have lunch together at the castle before heading towards the royal city of LOCHES in the afternoon. During our visit, you will travel across medieval times when you will discover the royal lodge, where famous guests stayed: Charles VII, Louis XII, Joan of Arc or François Ist. At the end of the day, we shall return to BEAUTERTRE castle for dinner.
LOCHES is the second medieval city of France and is the closest town. It is located 40kms away from the towns of CHINON and VOUVRAY. Wine amateurs will appreciate the VOUVRAY sparkling white wine as well as the legendary red wines of CHINON well described by RABELAIS
Day 2: The tradition of horseback hunting and the deer bell
After having enjoyed some breakfast together, we shall go for a ride in the beautiful forest of LOCHES and its famous oaks.
Starting from the pyramid of GENILLE, we will ride from east to west and will discover the CHARTREUSE DU LIGET and the INDROIS valley.
We will then have lunch together at BEAUTERTRE castle. And if the weather is nice, we even might be able to have a BBQ along the CHANTEREINE river!
In the afternoon, we will head towards MONTPOUPON castle. This family castle was once a royal accommodation during hunting parties and is now a museum. During our visit, you will discover the private apartments of the La Motte Saint-Pierre family. These apartments were refurbished at the beginning of the 20th century. And so were the King’s bedroom and the stables.
After dinner at BEAUTERTRE castle, we walk into the woods, in search of bellowing stags. At this time of the year, stags fight to earn their herd of does.
Day 3: The Touraine vineyards
The last day will revolve around the theme of viticulture. In the morning, we will leave for a 3-hour horse ride during which you will pass near vineyards.
Afterwards, we will enjoy our last luncheon together at a restaurant in LOCHES (meal not included).
Your stay will end with a visit to NITRAY Castle, listed as a historical monument since 1947 and a wine estate since the 18th century. After the visit of the cellars and the explanations about the vinification of white, red and rosé wines, you will discover the tools of traditional champagnisation as well as those of the vine and the wine. We will leave around 5pm.
Price per person : 1 200 €
This includes :
- Horse riding trail with a certified equestrian tourism guide or a certified riding instructor
- Horse and equipment rental
- Transportation of the horses from their stables to the departure and return locations of our trails. Transportation back to their stables.
- Horse trail equipment
- Accommodation in a private castle (BEAUTERTRE castle) in a double room (large beds). Shared bathroom
- Three breakfasts. Two lunches. Two dinners.
- All minibus transfers
Price does not include
- The FFE (French Equestrian Federation) license, that is highly recommended and includes an insurance policy.
- Riders born in 1999 and after: 25 €
- Riders born in 1998 and before: 36 €
- « Green » license, valid one month: 10 €
- Cancellation insurance
- Rider’s equipment. We suggest you bring at least 2 pairs of riding breeches, a pair of boots or riding shoes and a pair of mini-chaps, as well as a pair of riging gloves. Riding hat is mandatory. We can lend you a riding hat and a pair of mini-chaps upon request.
- Lunch on the last day
- Accommodation in LOCHES, double room with en-suite bathroom at HOTEL CLOSERIE SAINT JACQUES: 30 €
- Single room at BEAUTERTRE castle: 120€
- Single room at HOTEL CLOSERIE SAINT JACQUES: 130 €
Our rates are based on a group of minimum 6 people. If we have fewer registered participants, the stay will be canceled and the participants will be refunded in full.